Eleven vie for title of Indiana Derby Queen
Indiana Grand Racing & Casino will host the inaugural Indiana Derby pageant where contestants will compete for the title of Indiana Derby Queen and be crowned on Saturday, July 16 during the Indiana Derby.
The preliminary pageant, which will take place at Indiana Grand on Thursday, June 30 beginning at 6 p.m., will welcome 11 contestants from throughout Indiana. The top five contestants will be named to the official Indiana Derby Court, with one being crowned Queen of the Indiana Derby.
Preliminary Indiana Derby pageant tickets are $10 and will be available the day of the show. Half of all ticket sales will go to SCUFFY (Shelby County United Fund For You). Additionally, $5 in free slot play will be given out with each ticket for those 21 years of age and older.
The Indiana Derby Queen will be crowned at the inaugural Indiana Derby Pageant on Saturday, July 16, 2016 and receive a check for $5,000. The crowning will take place during the 22nd Running of the Grade II $500,000-added Indiana Derby.
Below is a complete list of contestants set to compete on Thursday, June 30:
• Kyleigh Archer from Indianapolis, Indiana
• Elizabeth Lecher from Brookston, Indiana
• Karah Wray from Tipton, Indiana
• Kailyn Jonas from Shelbyville, Indiana
• Ashley Milburn from Indianapolis, Indiana
• Jade Howard from Indianapolis, Indiana
• Mallory Tolin from Crawfordsville, Indiana
• Heather Stephens from Indianapolis, Indiana
• Frances Garrett from Pine Village, Indiana
• Adrianne Johnson from Shelbyville, Indiana
• Gracie Lyons from Elkhart, Indiana
In addition to appearance and hosting duties for the Indiana Derby, The Indiana Derby Queen will spend the next year making community appearances, volunteering with local non-profits, and representing Indiana horse racing around the state.